-
May 15th, 2000, 04:35 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Ahem... sounds like your card (ews) is not connected to your computer... check if your ews is in ISA slot...
I mean, when your installed your SCSI card, your may have pressed it so hard, that your motherboard have been "bended" little bit and that have lifted your EWS out of the ISA slot. It doesn't need to come fully out, it can B just little bit out from one end. This is quite common problem, usually AGP devices "pop out" of slot quite easilly...
Hope this helps.
Peace, love & that kind of stuff...
------------------
.KKu
-
May 15th, 2000, 04:36 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Last weekend I've installed a SCSI host adapter (Adaptec AHA-2940AU) into my perfectly running system.
Now my system is still running perfectly ... except my EWS64XL is dead. EWSINIT (-L -V) says that there are no ISA P'n'P devices found. All former EWS entries in the device manager are gone.
There's no hardware conflict. The EWS sat on IRQ 5 and 11, The SCSI adapter installed on IRQ 10. Now IRQ 5 and 11 are free again.
Anyone ran into that before? What can/must I do?
Michael
P.S.: I'm running Win98SE and the EWS 2.28 drivers.
-
May 15th, 2000, 07:45 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Seems that the SCSI-Card is using one of the dma?s. Most of the time dma 0 + 1 is used, so look if the SCSI-Card is using one of them. I had a similar problem the last days, Ewsinit is then not able to init the card and no conflicts shown in windows. I had to switch dama 0 + 1 in bios to 'legacy isa', so no pci card will get 0 + 1 and your EWS is isa (the only advantage for isa I can see
.
good luck
Dirk
-
May 15th, 2000, 09:33 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Thanks to both of you.
I'll give it another try tomorrow and let you know about the results.
Michael
-
May 17th, 2000, 10:12 PM
#5
Inactive Member
It's maybe I/O address conflict. Check the ports that SCSI Adapter and EWS using.
-
May 20th, 2000, 01:20 PM
#6
Inactive Member
remove EWS and boot the PC without of it,turn off the Pc,reinsert the EWS
I do not use the EWSINIT
-
May 22nd, 2000, 11:31 AM
#7
HB Forum Owner
Hi,
Daniele and b-dirk are right: you should NOT use EWSINIT unless you have 2 ews-cards in your system.
I also have an Adaptec SCSI card in my system, without problems in conjunction with the EWS.
On our Hardware problems page are also various solutions, although I'm not sure if they are still valid (they are from some time ago). But you can always try.
In my own experience a rather reliable solution is to assign fixed IRQ's to the EWS in the BIOS by setting the desired IRQ's to 'legacy ISA' (so switch off Autoconfiguration of the PnP-devices: a list of IRQ-numbers appears and you can set the IRQ's to legacy ISA or PnP). Of course the 'user interface' of the bios-settings varies from one bios to another, but this should give you the general picture.
Please let us know your findings.
Good luck
Arnoud.
-
May 22nd, 2000, 01:49 PM
#8
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by daniele:
I do not use the EWSINIT<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me too ... I just used it with the list parameter to see whether something's happening.
Michael
-
May 22nd, 2000, 02:01 PM
#9
Inactive Member
PROBLEM SOLVED!
It was no problem with any ressource (well, kind of) or the drivers or the card not being connected properly to the ISA slot.
It was the usual madness that appears when you have a computer system from the 90s where there's still grand-old technology running in from the 70s.
The reason why the EWS was not found any more in the system was, that the ISA slot of the EWS and the PCI slot of the SCSI host adapter are connected to each other (as e.g. is the AGP slot to the first PCI slot). And because PCI outruns ISA (i.e. is being scanned first) the SCSI host adapter was found and the EWS was not.
I just swiched the SCSI host adapter to another PCI slot and everything's fine again.
Computers---the last true adventure on this planet...
Michael
P.S.: Thanks again to all who have tried to help. Thank you very much.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks